The online business with its array of benefits are also a task to maintain and improve to get more coverage which in turn benefits digital presence of the business. There have been many marketing tools and techniques utilized to gain more ground and improve product / service reach among the masses. Search Engine Optimization has always been a hot topic among these techniques, but how does SEO function? SEO functioning is simple, if a Customer searches for a product / service in a search engine the most relevant results shall be shown based on a cluster of pages with ranking provided to each website provisioning the product / service. Since searching is one of the key ways how people search online for new content, ranking and optimization of the website is highly crucial. Among the top results for in search result we can classify marketing based on basis of two types: Organic Search Results and Paid Marketing. Paid Marketing includes paid Ads included at the top of the search results and rest of the results are organic search results based on the relevance of the keywords added in the website. Page ranking plays a key role for an improved SEO performance since most of the people rarely would navigate to the second page of the search results since most relevant results are found in the first page itself and the page ranking indirectly influences the website visits. Due to this, website or company owners will manipulate the search results so that their website is always ranking at the top of the search results. So how do Search Engines rank websites. Google utilizes a complex algorithm to rank websites based on relevance and various parameters. These parameters have now evolved to more than Hundreds or Thousands of factors influencing the ranking of the website. But a few important factors to consider would include:
- Referred Links / Backlinks: If a website has been referred at many other websites in the spectrum, it improves the authority in the SEO algorithm of the Search engine. Being referred more increases visits from referrals and improves Page Ranking for quite a significant amount.
- Targeted Keywords and Contents: The search engine identifies targeted keywords and content with the most relevance in the search results and used quite often in the website. This analysis is crucial for showing relevant content to the Customer efficiently.
- Website recommendations and page structure: Optimizing the website structure in terms to adding relevant anchor text for the web page, so that the ranking algorithm can effectively link the relevant pages. An XML roadmap can help in efficient crawling for the SEO algorithm and improves search results.
- Semantic Markup / Semantic HTML: Rather than just focusing on the presentation of the website, if the relevant meaning of the website / semantics are not improved by proper structuring then its relevance cannot be reflected in the search results. If appropriate tags are wrapped around a content posted, the chances of the SEO algorithm to get hold of the content would be much more effective yielding good results.
- Analytics: SEO is an evolving process for the website and its effectiveness to truly shine can be only seen through analysed results from daily traffic growth or loss and targeted keywords added impacting the results. A powerful analytical tool to evaluate daily performance can help identify shortcomings of the content in the website.
SEO when implemented effectively can really boost website performance and help in diverting website traffic based on relevance. But SEO is just the first step in the digital marketing space. Its not necessary that every visiting customer will buy the product / service. Its necessary to woo customers with offers, and many other techniques which is highly evolving and technical process but in turn will improve the conversion rate and in turn grow sales in a productive manner.